Friday, May 19, 2017


Update on Genius Hour: May 14th through the 19th

So I have completely changed my genius hour project. Who knew that finding a largeish desert cactus would pose such a difficult problem? Anyways, due to my inability to find a cactus that was larger than a gift store cactus, I decided to switch my project to align more with my lit paper. I'm now going to be doing an in depth analysis of bipolar disorder, as well as trying to find some local statistics on bipolar disorder in the valley (maybe from Memorial Hospital?) or by using New Hampshire statistics and doing proportions to find the expected value of the number of people with the illness here. I also would like to talk about ways that we can raise awareness for the disease, along with other mental illnesses, and to dispel myths that are often associated with it. Social stigma regarding mental illness is still a major problem in our society, and though there has been a lot of progress in minimizing it, we are nowhere near perfect. I'm thinking that I'm going to be making a poster board with one panel for each thing. One side will be bipolar disorder in our community and dispelling myths, etc., one will be about bipolar disorder in general (educating) and the other will be about how we can end the stigmatizing of mental illness (educating, interacting, etc.). I'm really hoping that memorial will be able to give me some real stats but I'm not sure that's going to be possible. I'm currently in the process of typing up all of my notes for the project, and putting the finishing touches on the research. I still need to call Memorial, etc.

The last thing we did this week was listen to Lizzy's sister talk about college and what it was like to be a bio major. I loved the talk! It was great to hear that she took time off, as I am planning on taking a gap year abroad as well. I learned a lot (like how I need to keep up with my schooling while away) and I felt like I had a much better idea of what it will be like. I was happy to hear about how the research internship process works, and it's good to know that we need to get started early. It was also good advice about starting out strong, and making real connections with professors. I'll definitely keep it all in mind.

1 comment:

  1. Love that you enjoyed Meghan's talk! It was great she could come in and share all that with you all :)

    ReplyDelete