Sunday, April 2, 2017

Week Standards [4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.8]

How did you do on your work?
I felt really good this week in terms of work. The review sheet we did was fine, although we procrastinated a little. The fly lab was really helpful and I did well I think, although the last cross threw me a loop about the dominant trait being lethal.

What do you think you understand well?
I understand the general Mendelian genetics stuff well, as well as the other forms like incomplete, co-dominant, etc.. I know how to do the Punnett squares as well, and the location of genes on chromosomes are making better sense to me at this point too.

Where do you think you can improve?
The recombinant thing with gene location makes sense to me in the form of the idea, but not really specifically, like where the numbers come from. Also, I'm pretty sure 4.12 went right over my head. I didn't realize until after when I was trying to answer the questions that I really had no idea what was going on at all.

What strategies will you use to improve?
 I'm gonna go look at the lab with the recombinant frequency again soon to get a better sense of it overall, and as for 4.12 I'm gonna look at my notes and probably the prezi again, as well as spend a large chunk of time in class discussing it (hopefully). I'll probably end up asking a ton of questions but oh well.
 
How does the work that we are doing fit into the context/narrative of the course?
This is still tying into DNA and genetics because of gene expression (protein, transcription, translation, etc.). We are still focusing on the central dogma through this, and because of offspring this is also connecting to natural selection a bit as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment