Sunday, April 23, 2017

Reflection for Week of April 10 through April 14

How did you do on your work?
The majority of work this week, besides the test, was heart work. I think the test went okay, and the heart work went great! I wasn't squeamish, and we had an awesome huge heart so we could see everything really clearly. I loved cutting it up and seeing inside, and found it much easier to learn about when the work was so hands on.

What do you think you understand well?
I think I understand meiosis etc. really well, and I'm actually feeling pretty good about some of the review material as well, as I have been trying to review before tests. I understand the heart really well now, like where the blood comes in and out, and how the valves work. I also understand more about the shape of the heart and how it connects to the organs around it. Overall I am feeling good about my understanding of recent topics.

Where do you think you can improve?
I felt pretty good on the test, which was the only real assessment we had this week besides the lab. I think I can improve in that I need to stop cram studying still, and to not make dumb mistakes on the test (which I know I did). Also for labs I find myself a little confused midway through and I definitely need to work on that because it slows down the process a decent amount.

What strategies will you use to improve?
To improve on tests, I just need to start reading the questions more thoroughly before diving into the answers. I know I made a dumb mistake on the free response that I knew the right answer to. As for labs, I think I need to start being more thorough in reading the labs the day before. I usually read them, but I definitely need to ensure that I understand the majority of it before starting actual lab work so I don't get halfway through and suddenly find myself very confused. Overall it seems like I just need to be more thorough in my work.

How does the work we are doing fit into the context/narrative of the course?
This week, we did the summative assessment and our heart lab. The summative assessment was on everything we've learned in the past few weeks, most of which ties into reproduction and how DNA is inherited and how proteins are made. Now we have moved onto regulation of genes that are expressed, including gas exchange and circulation. The heart plays a key role in both of these processes, and is largely a mechanism of regulation in our bodies. We were able to get an (awesome) hands on view of one of the most important organs in our body.

1 comment: