Saturday, March 25, 2017

Reflection #6

How did you do on your work?
This week we spent a lot of time revisiting Mendelian genetics and chromosomes in general, and I think that I answered the vodcast questions well, and generally had a good sense of what was going on. I also was happily surprised by how much I remember about the genetics unit from advanced bio sophomore years. We also finished our activity yesterday quickly and I think got the overall concept.




What do you think you understand well?
I definitely understand Mendelian genetics really well, and how the Punnett squares work. I also understand the idea of crossing over pretty well, also and the idea of independent assortment. I have a good handle on cancer as well. 

Where do you think you can improve?
 I think I can improve on figuring out how to see the picture. I was a little confused by the gene placement on the chromosomes and about how cancer can vary so much just within one type. I also think I need to work on pulling all of these parts together, with mitosis, meiosis, chromosomes, genes, etc. so that I have a deeper understanding of what's really going on.



What strategies will you use to improve?
I think reviewing the material and my notes and trying to find connections between the different subjects will help me a lot. As opposed to having a lot of it go right over my head when I'm writing down vodcast notes, I need to review what I'm writing and make sure I have a thorough understanding of everything. 

How does the work we are doing fit into the context/narrative of the course? 
This all comes back to genetic variation and populations, when it comes to reproduction and chromosomes. This also comes back to DNA, because that is what chromosomes are composed of and is a look deeper into offspring and how their traits are inherited. It also comes back to probability, and the overall makeup of the human population. 

No comments:

Post a Comment